Wildfire Relief for Those Most Impacted
My heart goes out to all of the families and individuals who are experiencing substantial hardship resulting from the Northern California wildfires — especially those whom have lost loved ones. Our City and its residents are incredibly appreciative of all the hard work our firefighters have labored towards this fire season to return California to a sense of normalcy. Our firefighters are the ones working to contain blazes, prevent smoke from polluting our skies, and helping folks return home. More than half a million acres of land have been burned in the Bay Area alone and evacuations are still taking place.
For those who are looking for ways to help our fellow Northern California residents during this difficult time, I have provided several resources below:
- The American Red Cross is accepting donations that will go towards the Red Cross’ disaster relief efforts.
- The Santa Clara County and San Mateo Fire Relief Fund has been established by the Silicon Valley Community Foundation to benefit individuals and families affected by the wildfires.
- Big Basin Redwoods State Park has been heavily impacted by the wildfires. Donate to the Big Basin Redwoods Recovery Fund to contribute to their rebuilding effort.
- All five Hobee locations are graciously working together to feed those affected by the CZU and SCU Lightning Complex fires. Visit their gofundme to assist in covering the cost of meals.
- The Community Foundation Santa Cruz County is asking for donations to support those affected by the lightning complex fires as well.
- The California Fire Foundation is accepting donations to help provide emotional and financial assistance to families of fallen firefighters, firefighters and the communities they protect.
- Visit the GlobalGiving website to see how you can contribute to their California Wildfire Relief Fund projects that provide emergency funding to locally driven relief efforts; providing food, medicine, and other essential supplies to help people impacted by the fires.
- The Latino Community Foundation NorCal Wildfire Relief Fund is raising money to support frontline community partners, who are helping those affected by the August 2020 wildfires.
- Donations given to Off the Grid NorCal Fire Fund will provide meals to those affected by the Bay Area fire.They are also looking for corporate partners or food truck businesses that wish to help. If this applies to you, please visit this website.
- Meals of Gratitude is an organization that sends meals to firefighters, evacuees and volunteer frontline support. They would appreciate help from the community.
- Everest Effect is running a Build a Basket, Buy a Basket campaign. Check out their website to see how you can serve real-time needs of those impacted by recent disasters.
This list is not fully comprehensive of all the ways in which you can help those affected at this time, though I hope it provides you with some place to start. If you have the means to donate, please do so. Thank you to all who step up when others need them most.